For example, an onomatopoeia, or onomatopoeia, is kukeleku for the sound a rooster makes. That rooster sounds the same in French, but you write the sound very differently.
Below are some examples of French onomatopoeia.
- boom! – boum! (or: badaboum! )
- hatsjie! – achoum!
- clap! – clac!
- clock-clock (sound of drinking, and the sound of a turkey) – glou-glou
- knock knock knock (knock on a door) – toc toc toc
- grunt grunt (sound of a pig) – groin-groin
- kukeleku – cocorico
- croak croak (sound of a frog) – coa-coa
- yum yum (yummy) – miam miam
- oof! – uff!
- Pang Pang! (gunshot) – pan pan!
- ta-tie-ta-ta (police siren) – pinpon
- toot Toot! (honk) – pouet-pouet!
- chirp-chirp – cui-cui